The Driver’s License Compact (DLC) is an agreement between 46 member states within United States.  This agreement has several key provisions:

  • One driver’s license: each person should only have one driver’s license no matter how many states they are driving through.  You may apply for and get a driver’s license only from the state you reside in, and if you happen to permanently move to a new state you must apply for new driver’s license within 30 days, after which your old driver’s license will no longer be valid.
  • One driver’s record: a driver should only have one record, and that record is kept in the state where the driver resides.  This means a driver will not have a different record for every state she has ever traveled in.  Your driver’s record will be used to evaluate your eligibility for driving in your home state as well as any other state.
  • Reporting driving violations and other information to other states: when you are driving through other states and you get a ticket or are in a car accident, that state will report the incident(s) to your home state where it will be put on your driving record.
  • Uniform and predictable treatment of drivers: essentially the DLC wants to make it easy for drivers to know the consequences of their driving actions no matter where they are in the country.  According to this agreement, you should be expected to be treated as a driver in any state the same way you are treated in your home state

If I Get a Ticket for a Moving Violation in Another State, Will it Go on My Driving Record in My Home State?

It very well could mean that.  It really depends on the laws of the individual state.  For example, Vermont and North Carolina do not report tickets to your home state unless the violation will result in suspension of your license. Even states that are not members of the DLC may report out-of-state traffic violators to their home state.  For instance, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, and Wisconsin are not members of the DLC but will still report tickets to your home state. The best thing to do to be sure what the consequences of getting a ticket in another state will be is to check the traffic laws in that state.

What Should I Do if I Wish to Contest a Speeding or Moving Violation from Another State?

You may want to speak to a traffic ticket attorney who has experience dealing with traffic laws.  Your attorney can advise you of your rights and help you decide what action to take to contest the out-of-state ticket.