There are many occasions where individuals that have been convicted of a DUI repeat their offense. Therefore, these individuals are labeled repeat offenders and the penalties attached are much more severe. In California, repeat DUI offenders have larger fines; longer jail time and community service.
Repeat Offender Lawyers
What Are the Penalties for Second Time Offenders?
The penalty for second time DUI offenders is very severe. In California, these penalties include:
- Fines: These fines can range anywhere from $1000 – $2000. The amount of a fine will depend upon the circumstances of each case and the judge.
- Jail: A second time DUI offender must spend a minimum of 48 hours in jail. In addition, a judge has the option of increasing jail time to a period of one year.
- License Suspension: A second time offender can have his driver’s license suspending for up to 18 months.
- Drug/Alcohol Programs: A judge may order a second time offender to a drug/alcohol program for over a year.
- Community Service: A judge has wide discretion on determining the type and amount of community service.
What Are the Penalties for Third Time Offenders?
The penalty for a third time DUI offender is even more stringent. A minimum of four months jail time is required that can be increased to a year. In addition, the same penalties apply as for second time offenders but the duration can be increased by a judge’s discretion. The level of punishment is determined by the period between DUI offenses.
Should I Consult an Attorney?
An experienced DUI/DWI lawyer can be extremely helpful in DUI cases. These defense attorneys can help to evaluate the evidence against a suspect and determine whether the field sobriety tests were administered correctly. In addition, experienced criminal defense attorneys might be able to reduce any penalties imposed on first time offenders.
Need a DUI/DWI Lawyer in your Area?
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia